Ansible Collab - Ghent

Ansible Collab - Ghent is a full day working session especially for community users and contributors to interact with one another, as well as with Ansible development teams. We will discuss important issues affecting the Ansible community to help shape the future of Ansible, with a focus on improving collaboration with our contributors.

Part of CfgMgmtCamp 2024.

• Please register for Cfgmgmtcamp (the whole event is free, but registration is required for crowd control) and select “Ansible Contributor Summit” (deprecated name) for the Wednesday Fringe.
  • Ansible Collab will start at 10:00 in room B.1.017

Agenda

(Starting time is at 10, but the rest of the schedule is tentative and flexible. Sessions may range from 10-15 min to hours, depending on participants and interests.)

10:00 - 10:10 Welcome and intro
10:10 - 10:20 @Sutapa Paradigm shift of career from mapping the geographical landscape to mapping of computer landscape
10:20 - 10:40 @gwmngilfen Getting used to Discourse!
10:40 - 11:05 @anwesha Opening up Ansible release process
11:05 - 11:15 break
11:15 - 11:35 @relrod How AWX Uses the Ansible Forum To Collaborate With the Community
11:35 - 12:00 @oranod User Journey approach that we’ve adopted for the community docsite
12:00 - open @felixfontein PR review session for community.general

Potential Topics

Include lots of detail so folks have context in advance, such as links to existing proposals, GH repos/issues, etc.

Copy, paste and edit from the example below. Add your topic in a new reply to this forum post.

• your name, EXAMPLE TOPIC, approx time needed
    • details
    • links
    • indicate whether it’s a presentation, discussion topic, or for hacking on

Please propose topics by February 2, 2024 (Friday). Thanks!

5 Likes

Anwesha Das, OPENING UP ANSIBLE RELEASE PROCESS, 25 minutes

7 Likes

I’d like to have a discussion about the User Journey approach that we’ve adopted for the community docsite. At the contributor summit last year I presented a POC on this revamp effort and it would be really interesting to take a look back at what we’ve done. I’d especially like to hear any feedback and see if anyone from the community has anything to share about the changes. I plan on asking questions at our Fosdem booth about those content journeys to find out if any users have found them helpful. It’d be awesome to build on that as part of the Collab.

Finally I’d like to talk with the community about how we plan to use the new community website to clarify user journeys even more as well as establish new paths to content and more, all in the hopes of helping users and community succeed in their automation journeys.

I can put some more structured material together next week but this is the gist of what I’d like to focus on as a community topic.

4 Likes

Rick Elrod, How AWX Uses the Ansible Forum To Collaborate With the Community, 15-20 minutes

• I envision this mostly being a community discussion rather than a talk/presentation. I can talk about some stats, but really I’d love to hear from the community how their forum experience has been as an AWX contributor or even someone looking for help with AWX. How can we improve the experience? What was awesome about the experience?
  • https://forum.ansible.com/
  • discussion topic
5 Likes

Felix Fontein, PR review session for community.general, can be anything from 15 minutes to some hours

• If someone’s interested, we can go through community.general PRs together to review them, and possibly merge some of them. If you ever wanted to know how the processes work in community.general, what the problems are the maintainers are facing, how you can help, or simply want to advance your own c.g PR, this session is for you :slight_smile:
  • Pull requests · ansible-collections/community.general · GitHub
  • A mix of discussion topic and hacking on
7 Likes

Sutapa Bhattacharjee, “Paradigm shift of career from mapping the geographical landscape to mapping of computer landscape” 10 minutes

• Introduction

Making maps in Geography is almost always a manual process, joining cities and towns into a meaningful pictorial representation. From there to computers,the change is not easy.The temptation of automating something always loomed large to me. In this talk I will share my small journey with Ansible and Ansible community, how one single event, Ansible Community meetup, changed my life. Also my journey as a meetup organizer and Docs working group member.

• Motivation

Since at this point of time, my code contribution is rather limited I tried to participate in the community with non-code contributions. I have been warmly welcomed by the Documentation working groups (DWGs) and the Community team. And for that I am deeply thankful.

• Plan

The ways by which I would encourage others to participate in the community would be to:

• Participate in your local Ansible meetups

• Speak/volunteer/host the meetup

• Participating in the community calls (such as weekly calls of Documentation Working Group)

• Pick up issues that need attention and working on them.

• contribute as Release Manager.

3 Likes

Session: Getting used to Discourse!

Discourse is full of tiny quality-of-life tools that can make your use of it more comfortable and more productive. Join this session to learn things like:

• subscribing to tags and categories and how to mix them
  • configuring the sidebar to your needs
  • using bookmarks for future reminders
  • submitting your news and events
  • keyboard shortcuts
  • group membership and why it matters
  • email interaction with the forum
  • sending posts to external systems

Or just come and ask me your Discourse questions!

5 Likes

Thank you all for your proposals, I’ve updated the agenda as follows:

(Starting time is at 10, but the rest of the schedule is tentative and flexible. Sessions may range from 10-15 min to hours, depending on participants and interests.)

10:00 - 10:10 Welcome and intro
10:10 - 10:20 @Sutapa Paradigm shift of career from mapping the geographical landscape to mapping of computer landscape
10:20 - 10:40 @gwmngilfen Getting used to Discourse!
10:40 - 11:05 @anwesha Opening up Ansible release process
11:05 - 11:15 break
11:15 - 11:35 @relrod How AWX Uses the Ansible Forum To Collaborate With the Community
11:35 - 12:00 @oranod User Journey approach that we’ve adopted for the community docsite
12:00 - open @felixfontein PR review session for community.general

5 Likes

The stream is here:

5 Likes