Forum launch - how did we do?

Well, that was a busy couple of weeks! :grinning: :partying_face: Time for a round up and a couple of important changes (see below)

This forum is now (publicly) over 2 weeks old (using the blog announcement as the start time), so I thought it would be a good moment to update you on how that went, the feedback weā€™ve had, and whatā€™s coming up next. Letā€™s dive in!

:chart_with_upwards_trend: Launch stats

Launching a new thing is hard - thereā€™s so much competition for our attention these days. In that context, I am beyond delighted with the interest & uptake in our new platform. Hereā€™s a few graphs:

Posts per day Daily engaged users

The first is pageviews - not the best metric, I know, but one that is directly comparable to Reddit, and amazingly we got one quarter of our Reddit traffic over the same period. Frankly, I had to recheck my figures for that - the Reddit site has been around for years and has thousands of subscribers and this is brand-new, so 100k pageviews (per month, pro-rata) is huge.

The second is posts-per-day, and the third is ā€œdaily enagaged usersā€ which counts people who Like a post as well as those who actually write something. Obviously thereā€™s a spike at launch, but Iā€™m pleased to see the sustained level through the rest of the period - having 30-40 regular daily visitors at this stage is a good sign for the future.

I went and added up the number of posts on the old ansible-project mailing list in the same period (by hand, yuck) and I think (because I might have miscounted) that weā€™ve had around 300-400% more posts than over there. Again, for the first two weeks, thatā€™s a strong indication that this tool is wanted by a sizeable part of the community.

Speaking of size - right now there are somewhere above 600 people signed up! Hopefully youā€™re all finding your way around (and please contact us if youā€™re struggling) and weā€™re starting to see the first batch of users getting their promotions to Trust Level 1 (and even 2 for some super keen people).

So, thank you to everyone for your involvement! :bowing_man: :two_hearts:

:hammer_and_wrench: Changes so far (and upcoming)

With such a large influx has come some excellent feedback :mega: :writing_hand: so letā€™s take a look at the changes!

Important changes - these might be something you want to alter!

• @jbericat pointed out that a couple of the defaults were not great for replies and notifications - in particular replies to topics you replied to donā€™t notify you directly (although they are marked with a number in the sidebar, eg ā€œ2 unreadā€). Iā€™ve changed that now, so you may get more notifications than before - you can change it back in your own settings here
  • Related, Iā€™ve also updated the Events category to be Tracked by default - visibility of things the community is doing near you is (hopefully) worth being told about. This wonā€™t generate notifications but it will add unread topics to the side bar. Again, you can change this for yourself if you prefer!

:arrow_upper_right: Upcoming things

• More groups!
  • More events!
    • Weā€™re already seeing good traction for things like the Contributor Summit in October
    • Iā€™m hearing that more meetup groups might be getting going soon :wink: :tada:
      -Working groups are setting up their meeting agendas
  • Accessibility - @jillr raised some excellent points in this topic and weā€™re working with CDCK (our hosts) on this
  • Integrations - weā€™re already pushing notifications to our Matrix chat rooms, but thereā€™s more we can do here (send me your ideas!)
  • Badges! Oh, so many badges to give out - recognition for community efforts is something we want to do, and weā€™ve settled on using this place to do so. Weā€™ve already created our first, and there will be more to come (the Fedora badge system is a great example of how this can work, and I like us to do something similar)

:cake: Thank you! :heart:

Iā€™ve launched a whole bunch of community initiatives over the years, and nothing has ever taken off like this. Thank you all so much for being here at the start - now go spread the word. Invite your colleagues (did you know you get a badge for that?), post about it in your circles ā€¦ letā€™s make this the place to discuss Ansible!

Onwards! (and let me know your thoughts below :stuck_out_tongue:)

17 Likes

I am loving the gamification of everything. You all are doing a great job :raised_hands:

5 Likes

this is so awesome and Iā€™m happy to see.

5 Likes

Awesome, I know it likely spiked the first week, but I see this as a snowball, as more and more users move conversations here.

7 Likes

Absolutely loving it! And not only is the best place for discussing Ansible, but the people here are incredibly friendly also :heart:

7 Likes