Updating the Getting Started with Ansible diagram

Hi all,

@tiyip has been done a wonderful job designing the new community website so I asked her if she’d also mind revamping the basic Ansible graphic in the getting started docs. Full confession, I created the original in Inkscape but am not really the person you want to design graphics. So I was keen to get someone with Tina’s talents to improve that part of the docs. After all, it’s intended for first-time Ansible users so we want to make a good impression.

Tina and I have gone through a couple of iterations of the new graphic and wanted to open this up to opinions here. This is what we’ve got so far. Let us know what you think!

AnsibleGraphic2

2 Likes

Like it! Does it make sense to add a :heavy_plus_sign: between Ansible and Inventory to make it clear you combine these two things to do magic? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah I think that could work but an inventory isn’t always necessary so maybe the + would imply that?

My nickel is this image already implies inventory is necessary, so the + adds a bit of value imo.

…and it’s getting started, and I think you have an inventory in the example so… all good :slight_smile:

Should that be “Ansible”, or “ansible-playbook” in the first box?

At the risk of feature creep, this feels to me like the 2nd diagram in a series:

• The first would be ansible-playbook with no inventory running on and managing localhost. It’s all in one box.
  • Then this diagram (which, btw, seems fine to me, to address your question).
  • Then one showing an [SCM node], [AWX with internal organizations], [external inventory sources], and [managed nodes]. (The square brackets are supposed to imply possible boxes.)

I’m thinking a newbie could scroll through and at a glance — literally — get a sense of how ansible deployments might scale.

1 Like

Hey @utoddl thanks for that suggestion. I like it a lot. Yeah it might be somewhat of a scope creep from the initial ask but getting a visual sense of how deployments scale could really help click things into place for newbies. (Full confession I still consider myself a newbie in comparison with lots of others around here.)

That will take a bit of rewriting / finessing in the “Getting started with Ansible” content itself but I can try and come up with something.

2 Likes

+1 - I fear that adding too much to this image would be scope creep.

I think initially just running the command ansible for an ad-hoc task to demonstrate how to combine it with an inventory to perform a single task is a powerful moment that then leads the new user to the obvious next step of “how do I combine these tasks so I don’t have to keep running commands?” and that answer is Playbooks!

I would think Ansible + Inventory + Playbook could be another graphic, perhaps the same graphic with some added elements to illustrate the building block concepts.

4 Likes

Hi, here is an updated image:

5 Likes

Thanks a mill @tiyip I think that looks good and, seeing it, agree that the plus sign is effective.

I’ve added this to a pull request like we talked about on Matrix and the build preview is ready.

I was thinking maybe we should just have “node 1, node 2, node 3” because they are grouped in the “managed nodes” box. What do you guys think?

1 Like

I’d agree, the word “managed” seems redundant on the nodes. However, I’m not strongly opposed to it, some people need that reinforcement.

I like the new design! I would keep the managed in the small boxes as well, when starting it’s good to have refreshers and it’s not making it too noisy.

4 Likes