Add Reactions plugin to the forum

Was poking around the badges, and found the Reaction one, and then went hunting. And found we don’t have that plugin enabled.

I think it would be a fun/useful addition to the server to enable this, as users could react in different ways to different comments.

6 Likes

We actually discussed this during our alpha phase some months ago. There were a few reasons why we decided against it in the end:

1. It’s a manual whitelist of emoji to set up in the admin page (discourse_reactions_enabled_reactions)
  2. If we want to be inclusive, we have to create a very large list of emoji for skin tones (or use the blue-skin ones as Fedora does)
  3. It dilutes the value of the Like - for example, that other reactions are not included in your Cheers score, and queries around top-likers etc are less easy to arrange

1 & 2 are manageable, but 3 bothers me as a data person. So my first question would be - which emoji would you want to be able to choose from? I am reminded of the Paradox forums, which have only “Agree” and “Respectfully disagree” :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

3 does irk me, I just got excited when I saw it was a plugin, and didn’t know about the backend management and data implications.
So used to discord where I can add 20 reactions to something and the points don’t matter.

2 Likes

I agree, reactions are a standard. But this is not chat, and I don’t want it to become chat either :slight_smile:

It’s also easy to dismiss the scores and gamification stuff, but we do want to do a better job of recognising work done, especially where that isn’t code (because counting GitHub is relatively easy)

2 Likes

You can always add emojis in-line :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

6fd4ece4bc41644c
shall see how the image imbed works for my favorite slack reaction.

1 Like

Don’t think I can’t see you liking everything sight :rofl: . You have a limited number per day you know …

Also solutions are worth way more, you should get some people to click that Solved button :slight_smile:

Was actually going for the 50 in one day badge, Not rank. I did stop as yeah not worth it.

2 Likes

I’m typing in jest, I love your enthusiasm :slight_smile:

2 Likes