Replacing news-for-maintainers

One downside with using the Forum over using GH is that only the poster can click the checkmarks anymore. On GH at least the ones with commit rights to that repo could also click the checkmarks. (Compare ansible-test - Added RHEL 9.3 and deprecated RHEL 9.2 · Issue #62 · ansible-collections/news-for-maintainers · GitHub vs. Ansible-test - Added RHEL 9.3 and deprecated RHEL 9.2) Not sure how many folks but me did that in the past though, so this probably isn’t that big a problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We can make it a wiki post, but then anyone can update it. However, it seems unlikely to be abused, and we get a full audit log of changes if it is. Shall we try that?

1 Like

Looking here, I cannot check the checkmarks on either, realize that its probably maintainers only, Who do we WANT to make the checkmarks and How do we want to track it, it could just be response from someone here on the post.

I made Ansible-test - Added RHEL 9.3 and deprecated RHEL 9.2 a Wiki if anyone wants to try that out.

1 Like

This would resolve everything if one could log in with not just github creds and subscribe for email delivery of required topics only.

Both is possible right now. You can log in with username/password, and you can configure the forum to send you mails for specific categories and/or tags (you can also distinguish between an email for the very first post in a thread, or for all posts in a thread; and that distinction can be configured per tag/category).

Go to Preferences > Tracking to configure for what you want to get notifications (Watched / Watching First Post), and Preferences > Emails allows to configure for what to get emails. (I’m not sure what exactly you have to set up here; I’m simply using “Mailing list mode” and adjusted the settings to get an email for everything. I like filtering in my mail program :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Everything @felixfontein said is correct - but I would discourage the use of mailing-list mode for the vast majority of people. It’s a massive fire-hose, and most folks will be better served by tracking the categories and tags of interest to them. Also, it exponentially increases the amount of mail sent - in a previous community I had 50% of outbound mail sent to just 12 people :roll_eyes:

(in Fedora they’ve actually turned the option off entirely, but I do think there’s a use-case for a small number of dedicated people, and we have the sending capacity, at least for now)

I’m still planning on better configuring the mail settings, but first I need to find some time to understand how exactly it works :wink:

Happy to help if I can. As a minimum, I can offer this post which will give you the list of non-standard headers you can filter on :wink: