Replacing news-for-maintainers

Your roadmap looks good to me, @Andersson007. Thanks!

2 Likes

@sivel @bcoca @mattclay any concerns about replacing news-for-maintainers with Forum and its roadmap ?

TBH, seems github is a better channel for maintainers than a forum

1 Like

Why so?

The way that github repo is used appears to functionally be a list of items that need communicating or potentially commenting on, I see little difference between the choice of hosting location for the information other than the added benefit that the Ansible Community Forum is becoming the canonical source of information for all things Ansible Community “ecosystem” (for lack of a better word). I’m curious what about using github for that purpose is preferential. :thinking:

1 Like

Because a maintainer will HAVE to be on github to be able to maintain the code, they already receive notifications/notices from there, this adds an ADDITIONAL point of subscription/accounts/logins/etc. We all have so many different apps/sites competing for our attention, IMHO the less we introduce the better.

1 Like

Collections can also be maintained on gitlab.com, other Git hostings, or even other SCM hostings (self-hosted or cloud based). For example, openstack.cloud is developed in openstack/ansible-collections-openstack: Ansible Modules Collection for using OpenStack - ansible-collections-openstack - OpenDev: Free Software Needs Free Tools (which seems to be Gitea).

(I know that currently you have to use GitHub to be able to log into Galaxy, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to force more dependencies on third-party services that are not controlled by Ansible and its community than absolutely necessary. This forum is controlled by Ansible and its community, as opposed to GitHub.)

4 Likes

It’s also worth thinking about the future picture - while today’s maintainers are already setup wherever they may be, the ones we recruit tomorrow are likely to be here first, as a user/contributor, before they take on the mantle of being a maintainer.

I do agree, once the requirement for galaxy goes away, so does my point.

Also, the forum is much better for this kind of thing. It allows for more granular notifications, so maintainers can subscribe to only the first post in new discussions or all posts in all discussions or whatever else. Before, we had to create one Github Issue for the announcement, lock it, and then create another Github Discussion if we wanted to discuss the topic. The process is confusing, and I’d argue, a misuse of an issue tracker. Moving to the form will get us these technical benefits and help unify ecosystem discussions as others pointed out.

3 Likes

I just set up internal notifications for new issues in news-for-maintainers in a company slack channel using the existing GitHub integration, so that maintainers of company collections had a way to get notified of those changes that could impact them; I’ll be sad to lose that. I can mess with the RSS support in slack maybe.

I also preferred getting these notifications on GitHub since they are related to development and I’m more likely to see and act on them if they come through GH, but the split discussion system is a pain.

So, I’m generally in favor of moving them to the forum, but I don’t feel as good about it as I do about community topics.

3 Likes

Quick meta question: is this some kind of hidden post? I only saw it today from Move news for collection maintainers to the Forum · Issue #61 · ansible-collections/news-for-maintainers · GitHub and I had to “accept” the invite to see it, and I don’t see it listed in any other pages in the forum. But looking at this post I don’t see any indication that it’s private or hidden or something. I don’t think I got the steering committee ping for it either unless I just missed it, so I haven’t been part of this discussion until now :-/

From this side, you should be able to add .rss to pretty much any URL and have it work. It definitely works for tags - eg Ansible - Topics tagged community

Nope. However, I think in this case, I don’t see a ping to the SC group higher up, and since we hadn’t agreed the tags until recently, it has slipped through the cracks. All the more reason to get it agreed and set up!

Oh, wait, there was a ping - on Aug 15th :slight_smile:

I added the community-wg tag to the thread. @gwmngilfen (or another mod :slightly_smiling_face:), can we make sure that, by default, @SteeringCommittee is watching (i.e., always directly notified) of all posts tagged community-wg or community-wg-nextmtg?

1 Like

I copied over ansible-test - Added RHEL 9.3 and deprecated RHEL 9.2 · Issue #62 · ansible-collections/news-for-maintainers · GitHub to Ansible-test - Added RHEL 9.3 and deprecated RHEL 9.2. https://forum.ansible.com/tag/news-for-maintainers.rss then provides a feed of announcements.

Yes - actually the group owners can do it too (that’s @Andersson007 and @gundalow right now, although I’d be happy to see that list widened). Head here:

https://forum.ansible.com/g/SteeringCommittee/manage/tags

and add the relevant tags to the list. I have applied those two tags under “Watching First Post” for all members of the @SteeringCommittee - however, the notification is unclear, and it may have replaced any existing tags you were “Watching First Post” on, so please go check (and apologies if I broke anything)! You can use this magic link to check.

1 Like

Cool, thanks!

Steering committee - Ansible

I don’t have access there, but I guess that’s because I’m not a group admin. I would be happy to help with moderation on the forum once that’s opened up.

I have applied those two tags under “Watching First Post” for all members of the @SteeringCommittee

I think it’d be better to have it as Watching (all responses) like we had by default in the community-topics repo. If members want to change their settings after the fact, that’s always possible, but I believe Watching is a more sensible default. I would have that apply retroactively to all existing members of the SteeringCommittee group [1].

1. Discourse lets you choose whether to apply the watched tag settings to future group members when they join or apply it to all existing group members, IIRC. ↩︎

1 Like

Done! Please check that didn’t clobber anything!

2 Likes

I already watched those tags manually, but all my other settings on https://forum.ansible.com/my/preferences/tracking seem to be preserved.

2 Likes

I am hoping more move here, so my vote is to move here. If we can put all the announcements in once place and you can set your notification preferences, it would be nice.

3 Likes