Not Able to install Ansible

Hi Team,

While trying to install ansible I am getting below error. The RHEL version is 9.x

[root@localhost ~]# yum install ansible
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Last metadata expiration check: 2:47:19 ago on Saturday 24 February 2024 05:01:39 PM.
Error:
Problem: conflicting requests

• nothing provides python3.11dist(ansible-core) >= 2.15.3 needed by ansible-8.3.0-1.el8.noarch from epel
    (try to add ‘–skip-broken’ to skip uninstallable packages or ‘–nobest’ to use not only best candidate packages)
    [root@localhost ~]# python --version
    Python 3.9.18

Could you please help here.

Thanks,
Debasis

That’s not plain RHEL, you’re using EPEL?

@Leo IIRC You’re involved with the Ansible packages on EPEL. Maybe you could help? Or am I wrong connecting you with EPEL?

Hello @DebasisDBA , welcome to the Ansible Forum!

That looks like the Ansible Community Package from EPEL (as @mariolenz pointed out), and from the filename, looks like the RHEL 8 version (ansible-8.3.0-1.el8.noarch).

RHEL 9 includes ansible-core in the Appstream repo, which you can install with dnf install ansible-core.

If you are using EPEL, you can install the Ansible Community Package (ansible), but you might need to exclude ansible-core from the main repos to avoid conflicts.

Also, as far as I can see, the current Ansible Community Package (ansible) version for RHEL 9 is ansible-7.7.0-1.el9.noarch.rpm. So @DebasisDBA you might have the wrong EPEL repo enabled if you are using RHEL 9.

Thanks for the ping @mariolenz. I’m not involved, but it’s something in my backlog to check. @gotmax23 has the Fedora side of the packages, not sure if he is doing EPEL as well.

1 Like

Yes, I also help out with the EPEL package.

nothing provides python3.11dist(ansible-core) >= 2.15.3 needed by ansible-8.3.0-1.el8.noarch from epel

I’m not sure where ansible-8.3.0-1.el8.noarch comes from. ansible-1:7.7.0 is the current version in the EPEL 9 repos. Can you provide more information about your setup? What minor version of RHEL 9 are you running? Are you using an outdated local mirror?