Jobs failing with parallelism (forks > 1) on newer EE images

I have a working old Execution Environment based on the old awx-ee:latest base image, probably about 2+ years old. I was trying to update my Execution Environment, to pick up security and performance updates and bug fixes, and now I’m having trouble running jobs against many hosts with > 1 fork.

Note that I’m using a bastion/jump SSH server between AWX and the target hosts.

On the prior setup, I was able to safely run with 8 forks (ideally I’d do 16 or 32, but those would fail). Now, using the fedora-42 base image or the ee-minimal-rhel9 base image, with 32 hosts and 8 forks, I get seemingly arbitrary unreachable/connect failures on about half of the hosts (16 of 32).

Failed to connect to the host via ssh: Connection timed out during banner exchange

I haven’t changed the playbooks; just the EE. Has anyone else run into this, and do you have any guidance? I’m seeing mixed info about the recommended base image to use. I create custom EEs to support things like Google Cloud, AWS, HashiCorp, etc.

Thanks!