Introduce yourself! (2023 edition)

Hi all, My name is Matthew. I work for Red Hat and I am a big fan of Ansible. Love the community and looking to expand my automation knowledge. Oh, and IPvSean and Leo are great!

7 Likes

hi Michael Zheng here from Amsterdam

I am network engineer background, with some previous programming experience in C/C++ and Python. Now I need to use Ansible and AWX for some deployment of our network infrastructure

That is why i here in this community

6 Likes

Hi there, I am AndrƩ.

I am a fullstack web developer with bachelor degree in Geography, DevOp, hobby-meteorologist and Inkscape-enthusiast. I love to see this grow and getting better with Ansible! (:

It was great being part of the Ansible Community Day in Berlin! (:

7 Likes

Moin,
Iā€™m Anton or therojam, (which is my social handle). Since about 4ā€“5 years, I have been using Ansible to set up infrastructure configurations for others, I also used it to build a docker host or set up a full typo server. Either itā€™s on an on prem VMware cluster, Hetzner.cloud or AWS EC2 instances. Ansible is my very best friend to configure Linux machines after provisioning with other things.

Since yesterday, I organize together with some other nice guys the Ansible meetup Berlin. (more to come, as in itā€™s ready when itā€™s ready)

Youā€™ll find some of my code at GitHub or at my GitLab account.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve done a bit of work with EDA w/ prometheus using the alertmanager source plugin. Happy to help.

I have a project that I use to implement some observability related integrations with EDA. Within this project, I have a directory for prometheus that stands up a podman-compose stack: https://github.com/cloin/swingsight_metrics/tree/main/prometheus

Thereā€™s also a video that I recorded that runs through this scenario, albeit with Datadog, but the same scenario can be run using that prometheus stack linked above.

5 Likes

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reach out, all I can say is: wowā€¦ this is amazing!

I can def benefit from learning from your git, so what I have been trying to do for the past 8 hours is get eda to trigger a play book from our Ansible node from alert manager that is hosting prometheus, to check if certain hosts have dropped mount pointsā€¦its been a struggle for 8 hoursā€¦nearly got it rightā€¦

Iā€™m Todd. I started using Ansible in early 2017, helping my team migrate ~150 servers across a dozen or so service lines from another configuration management tool to Ansible. This is in a university IT setting where I started as an undergraduate in 1978 (using punch cards) and never left.

I have always enjoyed making my computers do interesting things, and helping other people to do interesting things with theirs. Ansible is a multiplier for exactly that. Iā€™m so looking forward to learning from and sharing solutions to interesting challenges on this forum. Very happy to be here.

11 Likes

Hi,

Im Kevin from the UK

Ive been using Ansible for 5 years or so now, I was introduced to the forum at the Ansible Community Day in Berlin

7 Likes

Iā€™m new in terms of Ansibleā€¦ Iā€™m used to run playbooks but not about to create mineā€¦ So Iā€™m a Sys Admin with some background in on-premises environmentā€¦an RHCSA level.

6 Likes

Hi, I am Anil from India. New to Ansible platform.

7 Likes

Hey, I am RenƩ aka resmo (on github and irc)

Iā€™m a long time ansible user (~ v0.7), co-author of Oā€™Reillyā€™s Ansible Up & Running and author and maintainer of a few ansible integrations most of them releated to cloud computing, such as vultr, cloudstack, cloudscale.ch, exoscale.

13 Likes

Hello there,

Iā€™m Andreas, also known as ā€˜adsā€™.

Very long time PostgreSQL user, and also active in this community.

Using Ansible for a couple of years now, both at my job as well as deploying my own stuff at home.

Say Hi when you spot me at a conference. I might carry a blue plush elephant around.
My online profiles are usually named ā€œascherbaumā€ or ā€œandreasscherbaumā€.

8 Likes

Gā€™Day!
I am Yule a reasonably new Red Hatter from Australia.
I grew up in Germany and moved to OZ more than 10 years ago.
I am very very new to Ansible and currently going through the RHCE course as well as seeing a lot of Ansible around my current workplace.
(any tips on how to learn and experience Ansible best?)

When I am not working, I like to crochet, listen to way too much music , play World of Warcraft, or be a couch potato with my 3 pugs.

P.S. looking forward to browsing the forum, meeting lots of amazing people and hopefully one day be able to help with Ansible things too!

9 Likes

Hi Iā€™m Wendy. I am new to Ansible and automation for networking. Iā€™ve been working with Cisco routers and switches since becoming certified in 2010.

I have a 20 yo daughter who is a talented artist and she is currently pursuing an illustration degree at FIT in NYC. My daughter and I are both learning Japanese.

I look forward to learning more about Ansible.

9 Likes

I crochet also! Mostly when I am watching my favorite K-drama. :wink:

3 Likes

Hi folks!

Iā€™m Jeff van Pelt from the Netherlands, also known as Thulium-Drake on Github, Iā€™m mostly an Ansible user, but sometimes youā€™ll find my name on some modules :slight_smile: (community.general.proxmox inventory and some modules in theforeman.foreman, even though 99% of the magic is done by the Foreman team, I just wield their amazing code :wink: )

Apart from that Iā€™m of the conviction where ā€œIf itā€™s not in Ansible (code), it doesnā€™t existā€ and try to apply as much as I can in my daily work. And my focus is building (automated) Enterprise infrastructure with the ā€˜standardā€™ RH product portfolio, but also still learning new things everyday!

Also @gwmngilfen @cybette thanks again for the wonderful time in Ghent earlier this year! (and all of those whom I canā€™t mention here due to limits :slight_smile: ).

9 Likes

Hello all, Iā€™m Sumanth Lingappa from Bengaluru, India.
I am the developer of netscaler.adc ansible collection.
Started working Ansible an year back.

I am very happy about this forum. I could not figure out to get help from Ansible community from the chat rooms earlier. This forum looks promising.

In the coming days, I am looking forward to learn writing tests for my collection, a connection plugin etc.

8 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Will Thames, long term user of and contributor to ansible, although my contributions have lessened as the bits I used have become incredibly stable.

Among other things I wrote ansible-lint (now managed by ansible) and ansible-inventory-grapher and have done a lot of work on the AWS modules (until about 2018) and Kubernetes modules (from about 2018).

I recently migrated a 2018 version of AWX to a 2023 version without loss of data, and have been doing a lot to get it managed under helm rather than an operator.

Iā€™ve been to ansiblefest 2016(?) in London, 2017 in San Francisco and 2018 in Austin, maybe Iā€™ll get to another in the future if I have things worth listening to!

10 Likes

Hey everyone! Nice to meet you all!

7 Likes

Hello @willthames, welcome to the community!

Wow, thatā€™s neat! Actually I believe itā€™s a great devtool, one of my favourites on the Ansible ecosystem :wink:

Cheers

4 Likes