Community.general.nmcli FAILED on RHEL8, works on RHEL9

I have this snippet:-

- name: nmcli eth0 ipv4 dns-search "subdomain.domain.tld"
    community.general.nmcli:
      conn_name: eth0
      dns4_search: subdomain.domain.tld
      state: present

which works find on my RHEL9 target client, but the RHEL8 target client reports:-

fatal: [hostname]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Error: bad connection type: 'None' not among [6lowpan, 802-11-olpc-mesh (olpc-mesh), 802-11-wireless (wifi), 802-3-ethernet (ethernet), adsl, bluetooth, bond, bridge, cdma, dummy, generic, gsm, infiniband, ip-tunnel, macsec, macvlan, ovs-bridge, ovs-dpdk, ovs-interface, ovs-patch, ovs-port, pppoe, team, tun, veth, vlan, vpn, vrf, vxlan, wifi-p2p, wimax, wireguard, wpan, bond-slave, bridge-slave, team-slave]\n", "name": "eth0", "rc": 2}

eth0 is present, and I can configure the ipv4 dns-search manually on the target machine OK.

I have destroyed and redeployed the target VM but still the same.

any ideas, similar experiences and solutions ?

[dunno why, but the indents have been lost on my snippet, the lines 3-5 should be further indented but have been lost in the paste and I can’t manually indent them here, but indents are there in my yaml]

1 Like

Hi,

I ran your snippet task on various machines (Debian12, EL8, EL9) using Network Manager and result is the same: type parameter have to be specified if iface doesn’t exist, and I’m guessing that could be your issue ?

[dunno why, but the indents have been lost on my snippet, the lines 3-5 should be further indented but have been lost in the paste and I can’t manually indent them here, but indents are there in my yaml]

AFAIK discourse posts uses markdown so you’d better use code blocks to preserve indentation and such.

Edit: Also pure html and BBCode.

2 Likes

Indeed! I have edited your post (hope you don’t mind!) to add the necessary backticks ``` around the yaml and the log line. Hope that helps!

2 Likes

thanks, Greg, will know for next time, thanks for the update,

2 Likes

yowza, there’s some nice people out there,
great spot, Pierre, you were spot on
type has been specified and confirmed as working as expected now.
[musta been some default improvements in EL9 to accept type unspecified that aren’t there in EL8]
once again, thanks,

4 Likes

Glad it worked @Nesbit7 - if you wouldn’t mind hitting that :white_check_mark: to accept @ptn’s answer, that would be lovely :wink:

1 Like

already done once I realised that button was there, no prob

2 Likes

You know, I could have sworn i looked before posted, but clearly I did not look properly. Thanks! Hope you’ll stick around :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.