Ansible-navigator run vs ansible-playbook

Hello, I am trying to learn about ansible and I was following the instructions provided in the documentation , but I am not understanding some behaviors.

I built the environment image with ansible-builder build --tag postgresql_ee --container-runtime docker and defined my hosts.yaml with a vm and a docker container IPs:

all:
  hosts:
    docker:
      ansible_host: 172.17.0.2
      http_port: 2222
    vm:
      ansible_host: 192.4.124.58
      http_port: 22

The playbook and image are equal as described in the documentation. But when I run ansible-navigator run test_remote.yml -i inventory --execution-environment-image postgresql_ee:latest --mode stdout --pull-policy missing --enable-prompts -u root -k -K --ce docker it doesn’t work in the vm, but works with docker.

The error is:

fatal: [vm]: FAILED! => {"ansible_facts": {}, "changed": false, "failed_modules": {"ansible.legacy.setup": {"ansible_facts": {"discovered_interpreter_python": "/usr/bin/python3"}, "failed": true, "module_stderr": "Shared connection to 192.4.124.58 closed.\r\n", "module_stdout": "/bin/sh: /usr/bin/python3: No such file or directory\r\n", "msg": "The module failed to execute correctly, you probably need to set the interpreter.\nSee stdout/stderr for the exact error", "rc": 127, "warnings": ["No python interpreters found for host vm (tried ['python3.12', 'python3.11', 'python3.10', 'python3.9', 'python3.8', 'python3.7', '/usr/bin/python3', 'python3'])"]}}, "msg": "The following modules failed to execute: ansible.legacy.setup\n"}

I understand this error is about the missing python3 dependency in the vm. Makes sense, the vm hasn’t python installed. However I don’t understand why some commands work and this one doesn’t .

if I run ansible-navigator run test_remote.yaml -i inventory --mode stdout --enable-prompts -u root --ce docker it works

If I run ansible-playbook -i inventory/hosts.yaml test_remote.yaml it also works

What is the difference that I don’t understand between the ansible-playbook command, the ansible-navigator run command without the --execution-environment-image flag and the ansible-navigator run command with the --execution-environment-image flag?

Why does python need to be installed on the target node in the first command and in the other two it does not need to be installed?

env:

wsl2 with ubuntu 22.04

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Release:        22.04
Codename:       jammy
ansible-playbook [core 2.16.6]
  config file = None
  configured module search path = ['/home/<user>/.ansible/plugins/modules', '/usr/share/ansible/plugins/modules']
  ansible python module location = /home/<user>/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ansible
  ansible collection location = /home/<user>/.ansible/collections:/usr/share/ansible/collections
  executable location = /home/<user>/.local/bin/ansible-playbook
  python version = 3.10.12 (main, Nov 20 2023, 15:14:05) [GCC 11.4.0] (/usr/bin/python3)
  jinja version = 3.1.2
  libyaml = True
ansible-navigator 24.3.2
ansible [core 2.16.6]
  config file = None
  configured module search path = ['/home/<user>/.ansible/plugins/modules', '/usr/share/ansible/plugins/modules']
  ansible python module location = /home/<user>/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ansible
  ansible collection location = /home/<user>/.ansible/collections:/usr/share/ansible/collections
  executable location = /home/<user>/.local/bin/ansible
  python version = 3.10.12 (main, Nov 20 2023, 15:14:05) [GCC 11.4.0] (/usr/bin/python3)
  jinja version = 3.1.2
  libyaml = True

github issue link

1 Like

That is odd behavior. A couple questions;

What kind of VM are you running? Most Linux distros come with Python installed.

Did you add some things to the test_remote.yml playbook than was included in the Getting started guide you linked? I noticed that you used the --enable-prompts parameter, but the playbook only gathers facts.

I was follow the guide and get the expected results. I am however, using podman instead of docker, but in theory that shouldn’t make a difference.