Where to start contributing to Ansible?

Hey !!

I am a total beginner in this project. Can you suggest some beginner friendly issues to work on?
I am excited to be a part of Ansible and contribute to it.

Regards.

5 Likes

Hello!

I’d start by checking-out all the content shared by @cloin and @IPvSean in LinkedIn… Just dig a little on their profiles, I’m sure you will find a ton of info there to start your Ansible journey learning from the best ones :wink:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/cmcnaughton?utm_source=share&utm_campaign=share_via&utm_content=profile&utm_medium=android_app

https://www.linkedin.com/in/seanecavanaugh?utm_source=share&utm_campaign=share_via&utm_content=profile&utm_medium=android_app

On the other hand, this @Leo’s post from another thread has a few links you might find interesting also:

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hi,

@jbericat Although the resources you provided are top notch, I think she is looking for ways to contribute to Ansible or related projects, not seeking directions on how to use or learn more on Ansible itself.

@Ektamd02 You can start by reading Contributing guidelines from Ansible project repo, linking to contributing Guide on Ansible documentation, especially How can I help? and Contributor path sections.
You could also probably pick some iisues on Ansible project repo to work on.

Other suggestions include helping and guiding people through various issues on this forum’s Get Help threads or join a Working group and take it from there.

I wouldn’t know what to recommend, not knowing what you’re comfortable working with, though I encourage you to tell more about yourself and what specific parts you’re interested in, and I’m sure someone will suggest more appropriate options.

4 Likes

Hi @Ektamd02 , welcome and thank you for your interest in contributing to Ansible.

As I agree with @ptn I’m going to move the topic to the Project Discussions category and slightly modify the title to “Where to start contributing to Ansible?”.

Thank you @ptn and @jbericat for your throughout replies.

I will also add that we have two “contributor journeys” specially crafted for this in the docs.ansible.com page:

1. Developer journey
  2. Maintainer journey

Those might also help you get started @Ektamd02

Let us know what’s your main interest!

5 Likes

Thank you @jbericat I will surely check out their LinkedIn profiles.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Hello @ptn ,

Thnak you so much for guiding so elaborately. I will read all the links you have shared and get started.
Actually this is my first time contributing to an open source, so I am not understanding how to choose an issue and contribute to it.

2 Likes

Hello @Leo ,

Thank you so much for helping. I will definitely look into it.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Hello ,

After considering the various areas of involvement, I’d like to express my primary interests as follows:

1. Development: I have a strong background in Python and I’m enthusiastic about contributing to the codebase, whether it’s fixing bugs, implementing new features, or enhancing existing ones.

2. Documentation: I’m passionate about clear communication and documentation. I would like to assist in improving the documentation, creating guides, and writing tutorials to make Ansible more accessible and user-friendly.

3. Testing and Quality Assurance: Ensuring the quality and reliability of Ansible is crucial. I’m also interested in writing and running tests, as well as actively participating in quality assurance processes.

I look forward to working with the Ansible community and contributing to the project’s success. Please feel free to guide me on how I can get started in these areas, and I’m open to any suggestions or tasks that align with these interests.

Thank you for the warm welcome and support!

Cheers.

3 Likes

We have a lot of good first issues/easyfix issues identified across all the projects, as well as a similar batch of issues across individual collection.

5 Likes

Hey @samccann !

I found a lot of good first issues/easy-fix issues to work on. Thank you so much for helping me.

Regards,
Ekta

6 Likes