Semaphore fails ansible-playbook succeeds

When I run my playbook ansible connects properly to the remote machine and executes all commands just fine.

When I run the same playbook from the semaphore UI I get → ssh connection error.

It’s obviously an ssh error but I dont understand why since it works without semaphore.

Could someone pls point me in the right direction?

Thanks

====
The reason for the error was that the remote machine had the wrong ssh key in the authorized_hosts file. When I log in to the Master machine I use ssh agent forwarding so the first time I connected to the slave-machine the wrong key was automatically passed to the authorized_hosts.

When you run the playbook and it succeeds, are you running it from the same server that is hosting the Semaphore installation?

I don’t believe Semaphore is supported here, I think it is a whole separate entity.

You could try searching / posting to their issues tab in GitHub (Issues · ansible-semaphore/semaphore · GitHub), but I don’t think anyone actively supports it anymore - at least that’s why I abandoned using it.

Good luck!

There seems to be some recent activity, and from several people. It may be less moribund than you think. (I’ve never used it. In fact I don’t recall hearing about it before now. Looks like a “personal AWX” from a very brief glance.)

Oh, interesting. It is basically a simpler AWX, with a far better GUI (in my opinion).

For the OP - in matrix/irc a while back, people recommended Rundeck as an alternative to Semaphore. I haven’t tried it.

I ended up using some simple buttons on an existing in-house web app to do what I needed.

Yes, but lt’s resolved now see my added info above and thanks for answering.

1 Like

It is working fine and the gui is very nice in general. A little bit unclear when it comes to auth keys and permisson elevation etc but the best that l have found so far.