Priviledge escalation failing when no enable password is configured

I m using ansible 2.9.6 to run playbooks on Cisco devices within GNS3.
I ve observed that if the devices do not have the enable password (or secret) configured prior to running the playbooks, ansible cannot move past the enable prompt. If I configure an enable password though, all is well, playbooks run fine, however, documentation says pretty clearly that if a become_pass is not set or is set to an empty string then ansible will skip entering the password and proceed with just issuing enable to elevate to priviledge exec mode. but that is not what is happening in my case. It feels like every time, no matter what, ansible is trying to input the enable password even though none is needed/configured on the appliance , aka it is not secured (yet), aka it just needs to ‘type’ enable in the cli and ‘hit’ enter to proceed further with its tasks. I ve tried a bunch of things and it just won t work. I m wondering if it could be an issue with the underlying code. I m curious if anyone else has observed this or if someone who is knowledgeable enough would to look into it.
Feel free to ask me for specific information, thanks