Migrating AWX to a new cluster without line of sight

Hi!

We’ve been running AWX for a few years and it’s been doing great. We’re currently running 21.2 on operator 0.23. I agree it’s not the newest version, but it has been working for us.

The cluster this is running on is approaching the end of it’s life, and so AWX needs to be migrated. I’ve looked across many documents, and the main migration/upgrade document assumes line of sight between the old and new cluster/AWX instance, to move over the database contents.

For various reasons, this is not the case with us, and it would be a real challenge to create this line of sight.

Is it possible to use the AWXBackup/AWXRestore mechanism to execute a migration from one cluster to another, or is there another way that is better suited?

I was wondering about this also. From a disaster planning perspective, I want to know what my options would be if my cloud provider/datacenter suddenly went away, and the docs seem to all assume you’ll have the existing cluster.

The best I could find was this, but it doesn’t seem very straightforward, and it’s almost 3 years old: https://groups.google.com/g/awx-project/c/7h87EtBYXNQ