Lots of images in `quay.io/ansible/eda-ui` were removed

Hi,

I looked at this issue and noticed that all images prior to version 2.5.0 of ansible/eda-ui have been removed (or hidden).

Was this announced somewhere?

Sorry if I was missing the announcement, but in my opinion, deleting past images and pretending they never existed is not a good decision, but is there anyone who knows why such a decision was made?

In the long term, there will surely come a day when version 2.4.x becomes too outdated to be useful. However, isn’t it a bit too sudden that version 2.4.x, which was the latest just a week ago, has already been removed? I would have preferred if version 2.4.x had been kept around as deprecated until 2.5.x was sufficiently adopted by users.

I am concerned about the following impacts.

• Environments currently using 2.4.x need to ensure that cached images are not deleted locally. Otherwise, they may suddenly stop working one day.
  • All past guides that were written with the assumption of using 2.4.x will no longer work.
  • It will no longer be possible to create a reproduction environment to investigate issues that occurred with 2.4.x.
  • I don’t want to always worry about the possibility of images which I use being suddenly deleted in the future.
3 Likes

This is definitely unexpected. I have 2.4.1289 cached on Quay Enterprise so I am ok, but I don’t know that I would be able to do anything to share it with anyone that needs a 2.4.x image.

Hi @kurokobo this was done erroneously and is being rectified. This was certainly not done as part of any strategy. We understand the impact and are working to get the images back. The team apologizes for any issues this might have caused.

5 Likes

@shiotta
Hi, thanks for your comment!

At this point, it seems that only a little bit of the 2.4.x image has been restored.

Given that there are only three images of 2.4.x and that their modified dates are within a day, it really looks like they were accidentally removed, and you’ve gathered local caches from the team members?

I’m not sure how many images can be restored back to its original state, but for now, I’m relieved that it wasn’t a planned removal. There’s no rush, but thanks for working on this and for your continued support :smiley:

@kurokobo of course! thanks for calling attention to the issue! I had the team restore the 2.4.x images that were created as part of tagged releases of the git repository which the images are built from. If there is a specific reason that an image version is needed which is not available please reach out. But the versions the team made available again are the ones which we expect to be used by any of the upstream releases of EDA.

1 Like