Awx - [deprecation warning]: ansible_collections_paths

A few months ago we upgraded our EE from Ansible 2.14 to 2.16. We have a local ansible.cfg file in the root of our project that contains a setting to point to collections in our repo collections_path = ./collections

We previously had this as collections_paths and saw depreciation warnings at the CLI so we migrated it to the singular version. We no longer get the warnings at the CLI

In recent versions of AWX, when using the same EE and project, we always have a warning at the top of the Output

[DEPRECATION WARNING]: ANSIBLE_COLLECTIONS_PATHS option, does not fit var 
naming standard, use the singular form ANSIBLE_COLLECTIONS_PATH instead. This 
feature will be removed from ansible-core in version 2.19. Deprecation warnings
 can be disabled by setting deprecation_warnings=False in ansible.cfg.

This is shown as the all caps version, but as far as we know, we are not setting this as an environment variable anywhere in our project or in our AWX config.

Our main AWX is 23.6.0 and I just upgraded a test instance to 23.9.0 with the same warning being present.

Any tips on how to track down where this is coming from?

Hi!

At a quick glance, we may be injecting both the singular and plural versions here

I’m wondering if commenting out that line would make the deprecation warning go away

Seth

Hello,

any news on this, please? I am also receiving this warning after moving our custom execution environment from RHEL8 minimal image to the community one (based on Fedora 39). We do not have ANSIBLE_COLLECTIONS_PATH in our ansible.cfg used in the build process.

Thank you!

we have to leave this for backward compatibility for any execution environment that is using an older ansible version

Eventually we’ll be able to remove this, and the warning will go away.

For now you can just ignore the deprecation warning.

Hello Seth,

thank you for your answer! :slight_smile: Ignoring for now.

Have a nice day!