Ansible Tower 3.8.6: Templates and Inventories Missing After OS Migration

Currently my Ansible tower is running on version 3.8.6 and we planning to upgrade to AAP2.4 but before that we will need to migrate the OS since AAP2.4 supporting RHEL8 which current ansible tower is running on Oracle . Issue we face while migrating between 3.8.6 Oracle to 3.8.6 RHEL8 is there is many missing templates and Inventory list. the process of migration is as below

• On the current Oracle server take a current backup. setup.sh -b
    -Restore the backup.tar.gz here in the RHEL 8 server. setup.sh -r

Since you are talking about Ansible Tower and AAP (which are both Red Hat’s products), you might be better served opening a ticket to Red Hat (Red Hat Customer Experience & Engagement - Red Hat Customer Portal) instead of from the Community Forum :slight_smile:

Hi Fabio

I did open a ticket with them but they refuse to provide assistance since Tower 3.8.6 is no longer in support

Hi @Gurpreet1988 ,

1. since you need to do a migration of OS first, did you follow the install guide for Ansible Tower 3.8.6 on RHEL 8 before doing the import?

2. Is Ansible Tower a single VM with the database in the same system?

3. Did you try the backup/restore in the Oracle system, to make sure the backup is actually working?

As Fabio mentioned, you should approach technical support, even if Ansible Tower 3.8.6 is not supported, you should get support on migrating to AAP 2.4 if you have subscriptions, as that version is under support. If you are having issues with that, you should reach your Red Hat Account Team (seller or Solution Architect) with the ticket number to help you out with that.

Hi Leo,

1. Yes i did perform a fresh install on new system of Ansible Tower 3.8.6
  2. Yes this is a single VM with db on same system
  3. I did perform backup on oracle server ./setup.sh -b and restore on RHEL8 system ./setup.sh -r
    The backup complete and restore on new system. But the new system whn I login to GUI i can see only a few template and inventory list there