Hello Andy, I’m gonna keep track of this thread because I also have a problem with ansible-linter on vscode + WSL (Yeah, my job’s laptop runs windows11, so I had installed Ubuntu20.04 on WSL). More precisely, what I noticed is that when I have several projects opened, ansible-linter eats most of WSL’s resources (RAM & CPU). I dunno if that has any relationship with the problem you’re exposing in your post, but I think is worth a shot to investigate further to see if yours and mine have the same root cause. I’ll get back to you if I get to any conclusion.
I am only seeing this when I run ansible-lint on my controller machine against my playbook site,yml. I do not see it on the controller or on any managed host when I run the playbook with ansible-playbook. So I haven’t taken any steps to cause such logging in the playbook and am confused as to why it’s happening only with lint.
I ran strace -ff ansible-lint … and the only thing that was executed (execve) that I thought could plausibly cause it was the ansible-playbook -i localhost, --syntax-check thing. But I wouldn’t be surprised if I was mistaken and like I say, I haven’t been able to replicate this outside of running ansible-lint.
It only happens when running ansible-lint. I don’t even know what molecule is.
It’s also only since upgrading ansible-lint. I’ve been running lint for years and never seen this before.
Also please note that localhost isn’t in my playbook’s inventory, none of my plays target localhost and although the controller machine is one of the machines listed in the inventory, it is listed there under its real name, not localhost. That’s the other thing that made me think it was that --syntax-check command as that’s the only command I see ansible-lint calling and when it does, it specifies -i localhost,.
We could obviously do something but for this we would need a bug report that demonstrates the issue. So far I do not see our code as generating these syslog entries. Ansible-doc does not work the same way as running the modules.
Please make a simple example that reproduces the issue, minimal playbook, preferably using only core ansible modules. Demonstrate that stuff endsup on syslog.
The fact that syslogging happens with code outside our codebase makes it tricky to address.