Alternative README paths should be supported

I just tagged a new release for a legacy role of mine, went to import it on the new Galaxy website for the first time but was greeted with the following error:

===== LOADING ROLE ===== 
Importing with galaxy-importer 0.4.20 
Determined role name to be ansible-role-netbox 

Role loading failed! No role readme found 

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/app/galaxy_ng/app/api/v1/tasks.py", line 427, in legacy_role_import result = import_legacy_role(checkout_path, namespace.name, importer_config, logger) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/venv/lib64/python3.11/site-packages/galaxy_importer/legacy_role.py", line 51, in import_legacy_role return _import_legacy_role(dirname, namespace, cfg, logger) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/venv/lib64/python3.11/site-packages/galaxy_importer/legacy_role.py", line 57, in _import_legacy_role data = LegacyRoleLoader(dirname, namespace, cfg, logger).load() ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/venv/lib64/python3.11/site-packages/galaxy_importer/loaders/legacy_role.py", line 43, in load self.readme = self._load_readme() ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/venv/lib64/python3.11/site-packages/galaxy_importer/loaders/legacy_role.py", line 99, in _load_readme raise exc.ImporterError("No role readme found") galaxy_importer.exceptions.ImporterError: No role readme found  

Failed

Affected role: Ansible Galaxy

GitHub supports more README formats than just Markdown, and this role (as well as lae.proxmox) uses Asciidoc. I understand that Ansible Galaxy does not plan to support Asciidoc, but this should not be a reason to prevent role imports entirely. Is there a way to get around this that does not involve creating a README.md file?

(Some more information that’s probably relevant can be found at hxxps://forum.ansible.com/t/namespaces-and-remotes-are-messed-up-since-the-update/2195/5 (link count restriction))

Am I supposed to be reporting this elsewhere?

If you want to publish your role on Ansible Galaxy or any other galaxy_ng instance, you will have to provide a MarkDown version of your README.

Changing the importer to allow other formats basically means that Galaxy won’t be able to render basic role documentation anymore, which is something I don’t think anyone using Galaxy would like.

If you want to use another format, you can either use a converter like pandoc to convert your README also to MarkDown, or you can add a small README.md file that links to the real README.