Will Ansible 9 EOL when Ansible 11 Releases?

@release-managers - I’m preparing the docs checklist items for the Ansible 11 release. Are we going to EOL Ansible 9 at that point or is the plan to keep it around longer?

Here we said Ansible 9 will be EOL in November 2024. Which I think corresponds to the release of Ansible 11.

I’m not 100% sure at the moment if this is still the plan, though.

IIRC @gotmax23 and @Leo where somewhat behind keeping Ansible 9 around for some time longer. Maybe they can say more about this.

1 Like

It’s my understanding that Ansible 9 and 10 become EOL together when 11 gets out, or at latest one release shortly after 11.0.0 (depending on the timing). The next 9/10 release will be on November 5th, and if there’s another one it would be on December 3rd. The 11.0.0 release will be on November 19th or 26th, and the 11.1.0 release on December 3rd.

So basically we have to decide whether the last Ansible 9/10 releases will be before the 11.0.0 release, or together with the 11.1.0 release.

I think this was related to the python version changes in core 2.16 vs 2.17, and @gotmax23 was thinking a kind of extended version because of that.

Not sure if the Nov 2024 is the extended date already!

We can always check the original discussion: [Vote closed on 2023-01-29] Maintain Ansible 9 for longer than 6 months - roadmap update: Extend Ansible 9 lifecycle to November 2024 by gotmax23 · Pull Request #1023 · ansible/ansible-documentation · GitHub

Ansible 9 would have been EOL around the Ansible 10.0.0 release, so considering it’s still there November 2024 is the extended date.

Does anyone from @SteeringCommittee have preferences whether the last Ansible 9/10 releases should be on November 5th (together with Ansible 11.0.0b1 - feature freeze) or on December 3rd (together with Ansible 11.1.0)?

I tend to wait until Ansible 11 is out, at least for Ansible 10.

But do we have to wait until 11.1.0? Why not do the last Ansible 9/10 releases in November once 11.0.0 is out? This would be outside the usual schedule but would this really be a problem?

If we do another 9/10 release after 11.0.0 is out, why not keep the current schedule? This might add some more collection updates, and for Ansible 10 also an ansible-core update.

Just wanted to show up some other possibilities. But I’m fine with keeping the current schedule. I just thinnk we shouldn’t do the last / final / EOL release of Ansible 9/10 until 11 is out.

In today’s community meeting we decided to do another Ansible 9 and 10 release around December 3rd, together with the Ansible 11.1.0 release. We did so similarly when Ansible 8 went EOL.

@gotmax23 announced this in the Bullhorn.