[Vote ends on 2024-09-30] Should we remove community.network from the Ansible community package?

Sorry, but I don’t understand. Are you looking at fixing support for some Ubiquiti devices in community.routeros so you don’t have to rely on community.network anymore? Or are you talking about something else?

Ultimately just weighing in that I use both community.network.edgeos_XX and community.network.routeros_command but I would be happy pulling these via collections so removal of either from the community package seems OK to me.

I’ve been having some issues with Ubquiti routers since they still don’t ship with python3 so looking at possibly adding some other functionality in a new edgeos_xx module so we can carry on managing them via Ansible

community.network.routeros_command has been removed a long time ago, it’s only a redirect that points to community.routeros.command. So you can already stop using community.network for it :slight_smile:

The edgeos_XX modules currently are only part of community.network (as far as I know), so someone (maybe you? :slight_smile: ) would need to move them to a separate collection.

2 Likes

When do we want to start a vote on removal? I want to give folks a chance to chime in (thank you, @virtualguy, for your feedback!), but I also don’t want this to linger on forever.

1 Like

How about starting a vote during the next days? That’s also in line with my suggestion from 12 days ago that we should wait for two weeks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let’s start the vote now. I’ll announce it and will invite people via Bullhorn. It ends on 2024-09-26, so please vote.

UPDATE: has been closed as incorrect, apologies

Steering Committee Vote
  • Remove collection from Ansible 12
  • Keep collection in package
0 voters
Community Vote
  • Remove collection from Ansible 12
  • Keep collection in package
0 voters

Does this vote also include deprecating the collection upstream or just removing it from the package?

As far as I understand the comments above, the vote should be about deprecating the collection itself and, after this has been done, deprecate it in / remove it from the Ansible Community Package.

It’s unfortunate that @Andersson007 didn’t make this clear in the vote.

Actually, now that I’m reading the comments again… we were talking about officially deprecating the collection itself and remove it from Ansible 11 and not wait until 12.

Right, that’s why I wanted to clarify the scope of the proposal before casting a vote.

@mariolenz @gotmax23 i should’ve waited a bit more, didn’t want it to last indefinitely long, sorry. Could you please suggest the formulation? I’ll update the poll after that and will move the vote end time correspondingly.

I’ve tried to change it, but it’s not possible. So feel free to create another vote, sorry once more

Based on the discussion above, I think we should vote on the following: First deprecate the community.network collection itself since there’s nobody really maintaining anymore, then deprecate it in Ansible 10 and remove it from Ansible 11 as officially unsupported.

If you prefer to keep the collection in 11 and remove it from 12, please vote Reject. If there’s no majority for removing it from 11, I would open a new vote to remove it from 12.

Steering Committee vote
  • Accept
  • Reject
0 voters
Community vote
  • Accept
  • Reject
0 voters

I voted reject. Ansible 11 is being released in 2 months, and I don’t think that’s a long enough deprecation period. I do support deprecating it immediately and removing it in 12.