[Vote ended on 2023-12-05] Stop using the gh.com/ansible/community meeting agenda for the Community WG meeting

So far we posted the meeting notes from the weekly Community WG to https://github.com/ansible/community/issues/679 (a new issue is created every year). Since we’re using the Matrix meeting bot, the meeting notes are automatically posted to this forum (such as Meeting Log | Ansible Community Working Group | 2023-11-08 19:00:58 from today), and we basically copy’n’paste them over to the GitHub issue.

At the meeting we talked about stopping to do that copying over, and just keep the meeting notes in this forum. What do you all think about that?

The meeting notes should be tagged so it is easy to get a list of all meeting notes for the Community WG (you can find a list of all meeting notes here: MeetingBot Logs - Ansible). Which tags should we use for that?

Let’s discuss this here and use this as a first topic to vote on! (See [vote ended on 2023-11-08] Move votes and discussions to the Ansible forum · ansible-community/community-topics · Discussion #279 · GitHub - we’re voting in the forum for now!)

Use https://forum.ansible.com/t/vote-ends-on-2023-12-05-stop-using-the-gh-com-ansible-community-meeting-agenda-for-the-community-wg-meeting/2243/13 to vote! The vote ends on 2023-12-05.

2 Likes

For comparison, the Documentation working group stopped using the issues entirely, closed it, and put a point here to the relevent places in the forum. I go in after each meeting and tag the meeting log with documentation and meeting.

…so I’m +1 for using the forum for it all :slight_smile:

As an aside, since I’ll be migrating ansible/community soon, this is a good opportunity to move things over here to the forum where applicable.

I’m currently wondering whether using the community-wg tag for the meeting log posts is a good idea.

:+1: everyone listening to the community-wg tag (SC members should listen to them) also gets informed on the meeting logs,

and at the same time:

:-1: everyone listening to the community-wg tag also gets informed on the meeting logs

since this spams everyone listening for Community WG topics. I’m still tending to use the same tag, since the meeting logs are also relevant for folks interested in the Community WG.

1 Like

A couple of ideas (although it might need testing):

The meeting log lives in the MeetingBot Logs category, which should give better control on the notifications, as the category has an independent notification setting.

If the community-wg tag notification has higher priority (didn’t test this, so I’m assuming) and the “muted” setting of the category doesn’t trigger, we could also add an additional tag (#meeting-log for ex.) to those topics, so that tag could be “muted”.

This raises another “priority fight”, as we probably need to verify the behaviour of a combination of a watched (community-wg) and muted (#meeting-log) tag in the same topic.

I did a quick Discourse search and couldn’t find the answer to what’s the priority, and it seems Matthew from Fedora was having the same issue/question.

We could do some testing though to verify the behaviour and see if any of the options above work.

Update: By the way, looks like the “notification” options for a category+tag is not on the roadmap (or wasn’t in 2021)

For the record, it’s planned to figure out a way for the bot to know what tags to apply in advance, I just haven’t had time :wink:

That’s the interaction between a category and a tag, not two tags. The end result is that you can now control that interaction - if you watch a tag and mute a category (and by default you’ll have Workflows & Logs muted I think) then a checkbox appears in your tracking prefs to control which should win.

The interaction of a muted tag a and watched tag is still unclear to me however. Matthew, myself, and CDCK people have been discussing it (and other filtering things) for a while and plan a public topic when we have a moment to write it all up.

This sounds like a really good idea to me. At the spur of the moment, I would suggest to (re-) use the community-wg tag. This way, you will get everything related to the Community WG under this tag, be it discussions, votes, meeting logs or whatever.

Of course, this should be tagged automatically. But as @gwmngilfen said, people are already working on this.

Yeah, I was actually doing a reference to the cat+tag of my second paragraph, I didn’t find anything around tag+tag at that time.

If the checkbox exists, I think that would solve the main issue by @felixfontein:

As only those who unmute or tick the checkbox would get the notifications.

We could use the auto-tag of Discourse if we put a “unique enough phrase” in the meeting logs post for it to trigger the rule.

(I already setup a few simple ones for some tags and it seems to be working nicely).

1 Like

Following up from yesterday’s community-wg meeting, I have added the auto-tag to Discourse for the meeting logs with the following rule:

Meeting Log | Ansible Community Working Group > community-wg

Tested it with a topic and it worked without double quotes (") only. Using the “case sensitive” option as a fail safe just in case.

If anyone sees a false positive being tagged please let us know (flag the topic or comment here).

2 Likes

I’ve explicitly tagged all old meeting notes with community-wg this morning.

1 Like

Proposal for a vote:

1. The community WG meeting notes are posted in the “Meeting Logs” category in the forum with tag community-wg.
  2. Until end of December 2023, they are also posted in GitHub - ansible/community: This repository is for management of all Ansible community related initiatives., more precisely to https://github.com/ansible/community/issues/679.

If this is OK for everyone, let’s start a vote for this soon, say beginning of next week. (After all, the trial period for votes in the forum ends on December 12th!)

2 Likes

+1 for your proposal and on starting a vote beginning of next week.

Vote (ending December 5th) on the following proposal:

1. The community WG meeting notes are posted in the “Meeting Logs” category in the forum with tag community-wg.
  2. Until end of December 2023, they are also posted in GitHub - ansible/community: This repository is for management of all Ansible community related initiatives., more precisely to Community Working Group Meeting Agenda 2023 · Issue #679 · ansible/community · GitHub.
Steering Committee vote
  • yes / accept
  • no / reject
0 voters
Community vote
  • yes / accept
  • no / reject
0 voters

CC @SteeringCommittee

2 Likes

I voted and added the active-vote tag to the topic. Thanks @felixfontein!

4 Likes

Thanks everyone! I’ve closed the vote and counted:

• 7 x +1 from SC (felixfontein, mariolenz, gotmax23, briantist, acozine, markuman, Andersson007, russoz)
  • 4 x +1 from community (Leo, gwmngilfen, cybette, samccann)

No other votes. Can someone from SC please confirm?

1 Like

@felixfontein i can confirm everything except 8 SC +1 but anyway the quorum is reached:)

1 Like

Sigh, counting is hard… Of course there are 8 x +1 for SC :slight_smile: Thanks for checking!

2 Likes