Proposal: Consolidating Ansible discussion platforms

Hi folks,

This initiative is all about reducing fragmentation and getting rid of the various ghost towns (channels) we have, it’s a terrible experience for somebody to look at one of our repos, join the listed IRC channel, say hello and get no response.

I know there’s a lot of related implementation details in this forum post. This is my understanding of where we are up to.

On a different topic (and I don’t want to pollute this discussion), we might want to think about “idea we have” vs “thing that needs a formal vote”. Though let’s setup a new forum topic for that.

Google Groups

Confirmed: Google Groups will become readonly in 2 weeks, see the announcement
In addition to archiving the Google Groups, we will bulk imported (project, devel, awx) into the Forum.
Google Groups just isn’t working for us. Nobody seems to have complained about this.

IRC

Confirmed: IRC references are been removed.

It’s clear that the libera.chat ↔ Matrix bridge isn’t going to be fixed.
Nobody seems to object to this

Though can see that #ansible on libera.chat is still used (so like Reddit’s r/ansible) that should likely still exist. We will likely set the other channels to redirect into #ansible. I’m sure if we want to keep #ansible-devel

Reddit

Not actually in this forum post, though related

It’s fairly likely r/awx (reddit) will become readonly, and we will direct people to r/ansible proposal.
In an ideal world, I’ve much prefer for people to use The Forum, though there is a lot of good discussion and critical mass on Reddit.

The Forum is working well, and that’s where we want the default place to be

Matrix

Notice we haven’t haven’t use the words “required” or “only” when talking about Matrix above. If there is an active use of a channel on Matrix, then it should stay. If a working group grows and wants to have a Matrix channel, we will hapilly setup an official Ansible Matrix channel for you.

Similarly, the Zabbix Collection WG uses Gitter (also available via Matrix). They are active there. No reason to change that.

Gitter

Not previously discussed in the original proposal. Though we’ve got various channels that aren’t used. We will make these readonly and redirect to the main Users Help Matrix channel. Matrix & Gitter are correctly bridged.

4 Likes