# Ansible-2.8.0 delay

**URL:** <https://forum.ansible.com/t/ansible-2-8-0-delay/29947>\
**Category:** Ansible Developer\
**Created:** [March 22, 2019, 12:07am UTC](https://forum.ansible.com/t/ansible-2-8-0-delay/29947 "2019-03-22T00:07:45Z")\
**Posts on this page:** 4\
**Page:** 1

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![tkuratom](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/t/b19c9b/32.png) [@tkuratom](https://forum.ansible.com/u/tkuratom)\
**Post date:** [March 22, 2019, 12:07am UTC](https://forum.ansible.com/t/ansible-2-8-0-delay/29947/1 "2019-03-22T00:07:45Z")

</div>

Hello all,

As some of you may have noticed, Ansible-2.8.0-alpha1 has been  
delayed. It was scheduled for last week but we have one important  
feature that we're still working on. To give it a chance to be  
finished up, we've slipped Alpha by two weeks (now due out on  
Thursday, next week) and slipped final by one week. I'll be pushing a  
documentation PR shortly to update this page:  
[https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/devel/roadmap/ROADMAP\_2\_8.html](https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/devel/roadmap/ROADMAP_2_8.html)

The new schedule there will be:

2019-03-28 Alpha 1 Core freeze  
2019-04-04 Beta 1 Feature freeze  
2019-04-18 Release Candidate 1  
2019-04-25 Release Candidate 2 (if needed)  
2019-04-02 Release Candidate 3 (if needed)  
2019-05-02-09 Release

-Toshio

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![tkuratom](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/t/b19c9b/32.png) [@tkuratom](https://forum.ansible.com/u/tkuratom)\
**Post date:** [March 22, 2019, 12:09am UTC](https://forum.ansible.com/t/ansible-2-8-0-delay/29947/2 "2019-03-22T00:09:01Z")

</div>

> Hello all,
> 
> As some of you may have noticed, Ansible-2.8.0-alpha1 has been delayed. It was scheduled for last week but we have one important feature that we're still working on. To give it a chance to be finished up, we've slipped Alpha by two weeks (now due out on Thursday, next week) and slipped final by one week. I'll be pushing a documentation PR shortly to update this page: [https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/devel/roadmap/ROADMAP\_2\_8.html](https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/devel/roadmap/ROADMAP_2_8.html)
> 
> The new schedule there will be:
> 
> 2019-03-28 Alpha 1 Core freeze  
> 2019-04-04 Beta 1 Feature freeze  
> 2019-04-18 Release Candidate 1  
> 2019-04-25 Release Candidate 2 (if needed)  
> 2019-04-02 Release Candidate 3 (if needed)  
> 2019-05-02-09 Release

I was doing soo well until these last two dates. They should be:  
2019-05-02 Release Candidate 3 (if needed)  
2019-05-09 Release

-Toshio

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![mperina](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/m/7feea3/32.png) [@mperina](https://forum.ansible.com/u/mperina)\
**Post date:** [April 4, 2019, 10:51am UTC](https://forum.ansible.com/t/ansible-2-8-0-delay/29947/3 "2019-04-04T10:51:38Z")

</div>

Hi Toshio,

I haven’t see any announcement, but I’ve just noticed that 2.8 ROADMAP has been updated:

2019-04-04 Alpha 1 Core freeze No new features to support:core code. Includes no new options to existing Core modules  
2019-04-11 Beta 1 Feature freeze No new functionality (including modules/plugins) to any code  
2019-04-25 Release Candidate 1  
2019-05-02 Release Candidate 2 (if needed)  
2019-05-09 Release Candidate 3 (if needed)  
2019-05-16 Release

So are above dates confirmed?

Thanks  
Martin

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![tkuratom](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/t/b19c9b/32.png) [@tkuratom](https://forum.ansible.com/u/tkuratom)\
**Post date:** [April 4, 2019, 6:09pm UTC](https://forum.ansible.com/t/ansible-2-8-0-delay/29947/4 "2019-04-04T18:09:11Z")

</div>

I'm crossing my fingers but it looks like Alpha1 is clear to be  
released today. We are presently working to fix some issues that are  
being exposed with newer platform images for our CI. We do not think  
that these will be blockers for the alpha release but would like to  
get them applied so that we can test with the newer images. I'll be  
making a final decision in a few hours about whether to release alpha1  
without these changes and target them for beta1 instead.

-Toshio
